Bruce Lee: a legendary Martial Arts Master. Its unclear who Bruce Lee is talking to in this conversation, but Bruce had this guy running up to three miles a day, at a really good pace. They would run the three miles in 21-22 minutes. One morning: this is how their conversation went:
Bruce: “We’re going to go five.”
Me: “Bruce, I can’t go five. I’m a helluva lot older than you are, and I can’t do five.”
Bruce: “When we get to three, we’ll shift gears and it’s only two more and you’ll do it.”
Me: “Okay, hell, I’ll go for it.”
So we get to three, we go into the fourth mile and I’m okay for three or four minutes, and then I really begin to give out. I’m tired, my heart’s pounding, I can’t go any more and so I say to him,
Me: “Bruce if I run any more,” –and we’re still running-”if I run any more I’m liable to have a heart attack and die.”
Bruce: “Then die.”
It made me so mad that I went the full five miles. Afterward I went to the shower and then I wanted to talk to him about it. I said, you know,
Me: “Why did you say that?”
Bruce: “Because you might as well be dead. Seriously, if you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it’ll spread over into the rest of your life. It’ll spread into your work, into your morality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level.”
I can recall days in my past when I could run forever at very high speeds. This ‘Running plan’ is my attempt to regain that ability.
- Week one: Walk for six minutes, then jog at an easy pace for one minute. Repeat three times. Aim for three sessions with that same sequence for week one.
- Week two: Walk for five minutes, then jog for two minutes. Repeat three times. Aim to do three sessions in week two.
- Week three: Walk for three minutes, then jog for four minutes. Repeat four times. Aim for three sessions in week three.
- Week four: Walk for two minutes, then jog for five minutes. Repeat four times. Shoot for three of those sessions in week four.
- Week five: Walk for two minutes, then jog for eight minutes. Repeat three times. Do three of those sessions in week five.
- Week six: Walk for two minutes, then jog for nine minutes. Repeat three times. Try to do three sessions for week six.
- Week seven: Walk for one minute, then jog for 11 minutes. Repeat three times. Do three sessions this week.
- Week eight: Walk for five minutes to begin and end the workout, and run for 20 minutes in between. By the end of the week, try to run for 30 minutes without stopping.